If you create advertising content material to succeed in out to donors or introduce your nonprofit to a wider viewers, how do you describe your group? Do you stick with the fundamentals, repeating your mission assertion and the identical fundraising enchantment each time? Are you getting the outcomes you need?
When you’re not reaching your advertising objectives together with your present technique, begin using nonprofit storytelling. Nonprofit storytelling is the observe of utilizing actual, compelling examples of your nonprofit’s work and impression in your communications with supporters. Efficient storytelling conjures up donors and forges a real connection between them and your group, resulting in stronger, lasting relationships.
Let’s dive deeper into the three fundamental methods this technique can straight lead to extra donations in your nonprofit:
- Storytelling will increase donor acquisition.
- Storytelling retains present donors engaged.
- Storytelling makes supporters really feel extra linked to your nonprofit.
1. Storytelling will increase donor acquisition.
Essentially the most direct manner that impactful tales can profit your nonprofit is by bringing in new donors. In truth, Meyer Companions’ information to attracting new donors lists creating content material with wealthy storytelling as one of many prime methods for donor acquisition. Imbue the next with respectful, genuine tales to safe potential donors:
Heart storytelling in your entire mailings, electronic mail sequence, and social media posts to enchantment to new supporters’ feelings and persuade them your nonprofit is price supporting. To craft tales in your outreach, begin by plotting out the usual components of a story:
- Central characters: These are the individuals whose tales you inform. Your central characters may embody beneficiaries, donors, volunteers, or some other constituents who play a task in your group. Range your characters for various communications and advertising campaigns so your viewers will get a broad sense of your group.
- Setting: The place does your nonprofit create impression? Set your tales within the areas and communities you serve, naming particular areas when potential. This can assist new supporters visualize the necessity in your group’s work.
- Theme: Every story ought to focus on a theme or core worth that pertains to your nonprofit’s mission, corresponding to compassion, progress, or fairness. Give concrete examples of how your nonprofit prioritizes that theme in your work.
Don’t neglect to finish every message with a transparent name to motion. If you inform the story of how your nonprofit helped a beneficiary in a unsolicited mail enchantment, for instance, conclude with a name to motion that invitations the reader to proceed the story by changing into a donor.
Your web site
Your group’s homepage is probably going the primary place individuals go to study who you might be and what you do. Due to this fact, it’s essential that your web site makes a constructive first impression on potential donors. Observe these steps to make sure that your web site makes use of the ability of storytelling to draw new donors:
- Select central characters to focus on all through your web site who exemplify your nonprofit’s impression, corresponding to your beneficiaries.
- Align content material in your homepage, about web page, and donation web page that successfully communicates their tales and attracts new donors in.
- Pair compelling pictures with brief written content material that describes the particular methods your nonprofit impacts your beneficiaries. Use names, numbers, and tangible outcomes.
For instance, to optimize your homepage utilizing storytelling strategies, you would possibly place the textual content “We offer 300 meals to low-income Seattle locals like Jerry each month” over a big picture of volunteers handing a meal to a grateful man.
2. Storytelling retains present donors engaged.
Don’t reserve your tales for brand spanking new donors alone. When storytelling is part of your donor stewardship technique, you may flip supporters into loyal ambassadors who advocate in your group’s success. Use tales to encourage your present donors to get extra concerned with:
Occasions and volunteer alternatives
Promote your fundraising occasions extra successfully and recruit extra volunteers by incorporating the identical storytelling methods into your advertising efforts to present donors.
At fundraising and volunteer occasions, it’s also possible to take the chance to gather private tales out of your donors themselves. File interviews, ask for suggestions, and join with them primarily based on their ardour in your mission. Interviewing energetic supporters will make them really feel valued and empowered, and these tales can function future advertising collateral in your group.
Elevated and recurring donations
By combining storytelling with different donor stewardship methods, corresponding to making a supporter pyramid to visualise giving ranges, you may encourage donors to extend each their involvement and their donations.
Apply these storytelling tricks to your donation appeals to encourage your supporters to offer once more and provides in higher quantities:
- Deal with impression. Embrace actual tales of the progress your group has made because of their earlier donations, highlighting concrete numbers of individuals helped or providers offered to showcase their donations’ impression. Use donor segmentation to ship tailor-made appeals primarily based on every donors’ contribution stage for added personalization.
- Use donor-affirming language. Emphasize the most important half every particular person donor performs in progressing your group’s mission. When offering examples, use “you” usually and make your donor the driving pressure of the story.
When you’ve expressed your donors’ impression, promote extra giving alternatives. Particularly, Double the Donation suggests advertising matching presents and recurring giving packages to present donors. Finish your appeals with calls to motion that emphasize the higher impression they will make by taking part in these packages.
3. Storytelling makes supporters really feel extra linked to your nonprofit.
The underside line is that constructive, genuine nonprofit tales improve emotions of connection in your donors. Making your supporters really feel linked conjures up continued motion, dedication to your group’s mission, and lengthy lasting help. Bear in mind these tricks to create robust relationships by means of outreach:
- Inform beneficiaries’ tales usually to remind supporters why they offer.
- Preserve supporters updated on the particular outcomes of present and previous fundraising campaigns.
- Deal with tales that evoke constructive feelings slightly than damaging ones to encourage donors to behave.
Through the use of these methods to genuinely join with supporters, your tales will result in dedicated new donors, elevated donations, and a greater total relationship together with your group.
When utilizing these methods, bear in mind to tailor every of your tales in your viewers. If you would like extra assist crafting your nonprofit’s story, contemplate partnering with a nonprofit advertising guide to study how one can enhance your storytelling and improve your advertising’s return on funding.
Concerning the Creator
Bonnie brings to her position at Meyer Companions greater than 30 years of fundraising expertise, with a particular emphasis in multimedia approaches to new donor acquisition and growth. Her experience encompasses a number of aspects of direct response fundraising, together with copy writing and inventive route, market analysis, strategic planning, and complete outcomes evaluation.