We proceed celebrating the lead as much as our 10 12 months anniversary later this 12 months by we’re welcoming again the Frugal Flyer crew to meet up with how they’ve been doing since we final interview them virtually a 12 months in the past. Seems like a lot of modified and searching ahead to seeing what extra they’ve in retailer. Although they’re relative new to the Canadian journey running a blog scene, they actually got here out “flying”! Thanks Reed, Hugh and Daniel for taking the time to reply our questions and we actually trying ahead to seeing you develop.
1) Please inform us about your self and your function with Frugal Flyer?
My identify is Reed and I’m a well being researcher by day and journey blogger by practically all different hours. Journey and journey hacking is one thing that I’ve been enthusiastic about since 2017-2018 after I determined I wanted to discover a solution to journey for much less if I wished to journey in any respect. It’s one thing I shortly realized I’ve a knack for and the weblog, which I created in 2020, was a solution to join with the bigger neighborhood and share my ardour.
In late 2021 my good good friend Hugh got here on board as a companion and I think about him a co-founder of the present Frugal Flyer. He has contributed considerably to rising our content material output and search engine rating (and naturally a level-head to bounce concepts off of).
My identify is Hugh and I’m a Human Assets Supervisor throughout the day, and the opposite co-founder of Frugal Flyer on the evenings and weekends. I’ve been churning bank cards since 2017 however solely significantly obtained into the passion (now a ardour) in 2019 after I met Reed. The passion turned an dependancy and I used to be in a position to speed up my point-earning capabilities considerably.
On the subject of Frugal Flyer, I’m equal components content material author, website positioning specialist, and supervisor of the FlyerFunds Rebate program. Just like Reed, I like that Frugal Flyer has given us the chance to share our specialised information with the broader neighborhood and we’re in a position to cowl some matters that now we have but to see coated by different blogs.
I entered the Miles and Factors sport in 2021 and have taken the “make up for misplaced time” mentality. After spending 5 years touring for my first profession in motorsports and flying 30+ weeks yearly in financial system class,, I’m out for Factors Revenge! After I joined Frugal Flyer in early 2023 as a author, I hoped to share my information with as many vacationers as attainable, to allow them to keep away from the identical errors I’ve made.
I nonetheless haven’t gotten over the joys of flying on the entrance of the airplane and significantly take pleasure in planning journeys in the most effective premium cabins, typically even taking an obscure route to take action. Flying ANA’s The Room on 10 days’ discover and sharing that have with my spouse is my favourite redemption to this point.
Exterior of the world of Miles and Factors, I take pleasure in racing classic Method Ford race vehicles with my dad, snowboarding, and being dissatisfied by the Toronto Raptors (other than 2019 in fact).
2) Welcome again. How a lot has modified since we final interviewed you in Might 2022?
It looks like each week, issues get busier and busier for us (in a really optimistic method). A few of the most important adjustments and successes since Might 2022:
- We now have continued to see vital progress in readership and site visitors, and elevated partnerships, together with with American Categorical Canada, CIBC, RBC, and extra.
- We’ve begun to collaborate with different blogs (yourselves, Prince of Journey, and hopefully many extra!) and hosted a number of area people meetups.
- Website-wise, probably the most vital change is an overhauled system for rebates known as FlyerFunds, which gives well timed payouts and clear rebate monitoring.
- We gave out awards for the best-in-class bank cards, which have been featured now by Nationwide Financial institution and HSBC for his or her world elite playing cards.
- We employed a brand new devoted content material author, Danny, and need to add one other author to our crew.
Briefly, we’re very excited for what the remainder of 2023 and past holds!
3) What are you engaged on that we will sit up for?
We now have pages of concepts that we’d love to do sooner or later, but in addition extra concrete issues we plan to do extra imminently in 2023, together with:
- Extra refinements to our rebate program, together with the addition of latest companions
- Improved social media content material (video content material with an academic focus)
- Publish instruments to assist with journey planning
- Proceed doing what we’re doing effectively
And in addition, we’re hoping to carry an even bigger and higher native factors meetup, in all probability throughout the late summer season.
4) As we talked about in our latest refresh put up, seeing you guys develop so shortly over the previous few years is one in every of our inspirations to maintain going. Do you’ve got any ideas for us as we embark on our subsequent 10 years?
Hold going! There aren’t sufficient factors blogs in Canada. Irrespective of the scale, we love seeing extra miles and factors blogs pop up as all content material creators add a singular lens and might share totally different views. Attempt to craft your personal area of interest inside the blogosphere and hearken to suggestions out of your viewers.
Apart from that, we all know in addition to anyone that typically private life takes priority. However don’t overlook to come back again and share your journeys and ideas with the neighborhood. Even one weblog put up a month provides worth.